Song and mix files
When you save a song called mySong, JJazzLab actually saves 2 different files:
- mySong.sng: contains everything except the mix information
- mySong.mix: contains only the mix information, i.e. the configuration of the instruments used.
Why using 2 different files ?
Each JJazzLab rhythm has a builtin default mix. This builtin default mix can only use GM instruments for maximum portability.
You can override the rhythm's builtin mix by saving a default rhythm mix file. Unlike the builtin mix, this rhythm mix can use any instruments.
By default this file is stored in the user rhythm directory set in Options/Rhythms. But the directory can be changed in Options/General.
Combining the 2 paragraphs above, below is how JJazzLab looks for mix information when you load myDir/mySong.sng and this songs uses rhythm 16BeatRock :
- 1.use myDir/mySong.mix if present
- 2.use defaultRhythmMixDir/16BeatRock.mix if present
- 3.use 16BeatRock builtin default mix (GM instruments only)
Steps 2. and 3. are also used when you add a new rhythm in a song.